What's new

The Dev Shack #03 – Reworked PvP Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narokath

Splitscreen Studios
Reaction score

Welcome back to the Dev Shack!

• Hello rangers :) Just like the first one, our second Dev Shack piece prompted many insightful comments from your side. Thank you! Here is our third article, this time we focus on a very specific gameplay element.

We would be happy if you joined the discussion below. Thank you for commenting and for playing!

This is How We Are Going to Improve PvP Protection

The Current State: A Trump Card in PvP, Time Pressure in PvE

• Dino Storm's end game—capturing and holding item-producing buildings—relies on PvP (player versus player) combat a lot. Thus, PvP combat is allowed and encouraged for all zones outside of the "safe haven" Dinoville. At the same time, we wanted to give players the possibility to remove themselves from PvP when they want to. Especially when you are new to Dino Storm, undisturbed questing can help a lot with getting better into the game. The idea of offering a PvP-free gaming experience then led to the introduction of PvP Protection.

As it is implemented right now, PvP Protection renders players completely immune to PvP combat—
    but it also gives them control over when they want to remove that protection again to resume PvP.
    To put it another way: We have accidentally made PvP Protection a powerful tool IN PvP.
    For instance, PvP-protected players can run up to any Spawn Camp or Claim undisturbed and then choose to attack the building. Another weak point is the time pressure that is put on players who
    want to stay protected, as PvP Protection only lasts for three hours.

Rangers can simply turn off PvP Protection when they want to attack buildings

In the Future: No Way to "Quit" Protection Outside of Dinoville, no Timer

• There is a simple solution to the problem outlined above: It must not be possible to alter PvP Protection while the player using it is in a PvP context. What this means for our upcoming update is that PvP Protection can only be turned off and on in Dinoville, and also that it will not expire by itself any more.

You simply decide whether you want to invest a bit of your Fame to have PvP Protection or not, and it will never wear off. And when you try to attack a building or another player while you are protected, the game will tell you to visit the Guardian Outpost in Dinoville—it is the only place where you can remove protection.

Before they can attack buildings, rangers will first need to turn off PvP Protection in Dinoville

Forum Discussion

• We think that these changes are a good way to address the main issues of today's PvP Protection.
    Would you agree?

We Want Your Feedback!
¡Queremos tu opinión!
Nós queremos a sua opinião!
Sag uns was Du denkst!
Donnez-nous votre avis !

Reaction score
Server
America_2
Main Char
ZanZer
Clan
Rosa-do-Deserto
Ótima ideia assim não vai ter gente incomodando para fazer PvP com alguém com proteção la no meio de Green Volcano por que ela pode ser removida com um simples ataque. :) :D

Sandysauce

Reaction score
Server
-----
Main Char
.fae.
Clan
I love this idea, i know personally i hate it when people run through the map with protection only to get rid of it and attack a building./centre]

Reaction score
:idea: :idea: :idea: Finally the time is changed. Good idea that protection only in dv on/off can be switched. No noob is now more eternities with protection against buildings, annoying, and Attackt sometime just once. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

tomasz.go

Reaction score
I really love this idea. One thing about those who use it just to pass the map to get to building and attack it. But so much more better for those who want to truely enjoy the game without being disturbed by another players, most of the time much stronger. It cost a lot to use it at the moment since it last for only 3h. Never wear off. GOOD JOB:)

speed.demon

Reaction score
This is a fine good idea, and a great help for our clan and ally. Cz enemies go here and there with pvp, and atck buildings, we get annoyed. Good idea! SUPPORTED! :D

jarol.junior

Reaction score
bueno la idea esta bien para los enemigos que siempre se aprovechan de eso :D

tankibr.dante

Reaction score
o t-rex teria que ser mais facil para pegar
T-rex would have to be easier to catch

rajazribi

Reaction score
the idea is good, but i still like the old pvp system with outlaw hunters. why not make a fuse between the old system and the new system ?

rajazribi

Reaction score
i have some few notes!:
are going to make building attacker have a red glowing duelist symbol like the in the first image ?
aslo, why not forbid protection in green volcano, because it has really few players and fairly less attacks ?
protection guardion rangers that spawns next to protection building are useless and only lagging and distracting, you should remove them
what if one of your clannies (clan allies) own a camp and get attacked,thus you need to protect it but are on protection. how to help them ? what if you are in GV ? do you have to make all that distance to DS to turn on duel?

rajazribi

Reaction score
the number of commentor is too low here :/ i don't think we can actually make a constructive ideas with 1 post a day

gonzalo25

Reaction score
Es muy buena la idea pero seria bueno que vuelvan a implementar el sistema antiguo el de los "Cazarrecompenzas" ese sistema era muy bueno todos los jugadores respetaban a los niveles bajos gracias a los cazarrecompenzas (cuando los hicieron fuertes), ahora si ven a un jugador nuevo que no tiene idea de lo que es protección y sale de dinoville los jugadores aprovechan y lo atacan. Seria bueno que vuelvan los Cazas.
Gracias por leer.

rajazribi

Reaction score
gonzalo25 said:
Es muy buena la idea pero seria bueno.
that is a good thought, here is a translition for my fellow english speakers :
It is very good idea but it would be good to re-implement the old system on the "outlaw hunter" that system was very good all the players respected the low levels thanks to the outlaw hunter (when they were made strong) now if you see a new player has no idea what is dinoville protection and leaves the prey and attack players. It would be nice to return the fighters.
Thank you for reading.

rajazribi

Reaction score
@Narokath if you are reading this tell me. what if you one of your clam members got their claim attacked and you are on protection ? can you remove the protection then or not ?
and when will these dev-shack be settled ? it has been a month and not one dev is closed

Narokath

Splitscreen Studios
Reaction score
rajazribi said:
@Narokath if you are reading this tell me. what if you one of your clam members got their claim attacked and you are on protection ? can you remove the protection then or not ?
and when will these dev-shack be settled ? it has been a month and not one dev is closed
You will need to travel to Dinoville first to remove the protection. However, due to the addition of Travel Gates it will be much easier to travel between zones.

All Dev Shack articles describe aspects of the same big update. All these changes will arrive at the same time.

rajazribi

Reaction score
Narokath said:
rajazribi said:
All Dev Shack articles describe aspects of the same big update. All these changes will arrive at the same time.
so it is the same update huh ? that's good but i did'nt like the first dev-shack, i rate those dev updates like
The Dev Shack #01 – Improvements to Loot Distribution : 2/10
The Dev Shack #02 – Fast & Convenient Ways to Travel : 8/10
The Dev Shack #03 – Reworked PvP Protection : 7/10
are there any other updates coming soon ? and if you are going to make this update please pre-notify me !

Status
Not open for further replies.