What's new

Suggestions to reduce PvP abuse

polerberr

Reaction score
I've mentioned some of these on other subforums, but I'll post them in one neat post where others can add / discuss. :)

Bullying is an issue in this game. High level players constantly kill low level players as soon as they spawn in a PvP zone, for example. We can report the players, but it'd be more effective to look at the root of the problem and to find solutions from there.

PvP is an important feature to any online game, but there are ways to have it where players don't abuse it.

• Special PvP servers. Players can decide upon character creation whether or not they want to risk getting killed outside of Dinoville by other players. Players can create characters for non-PvP servers and for PvP servers, so everybody's happy.
  • Asking for permission to duel. Instead of creating whole new servers with PvP disabled, make the feature so that one has to ask permission to duel another player. So, if you see somebody that you want to take on, you press their character and there will be the "attack" option. The other player will instantly receive a popup which they can respond to. It could be something like this: ThisUserName wants to fight you: Accept / Decline.This allows both players to attack each other until one is killed. Lower level players would tend to decline a duel from a higher level, thus encouraging higher levels to fight players of their own level, and solve the bullying problem.
  • More guardian protection options. This is probably a more simple solution. When I go to the guardians outpost I only ever have the option to pay for 3 hours of protection. Now, I want to make use of what I pay for, but I don't always have time for 3 hours of gaming. Why can't we pay less fame for shorter lasting protection? Give players options for 20 - 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, etc. It'll cost less fame and we can actually get what we payed for.

Tyrannosaur Ryan

Reaction score
I think the actual root of the problem is that permanent character lvls are out of place in a PvP game. It only takes away from the balance that the devs have been trying to achieve. That isn't to say that character lvls shouldn't exist at all, but it would be better if it were set up more like a MOBA. In MOBA games you do lvl up and you do customize, but everyone starts the match at lvl 1, and the number of players on each team is always even. So if a low lvl player is getting 'bullied' by a higher lvl player it probably means that the higher lvl player has just been playing better that game.
It's probably too late to put this in Dino Storm though, unless some sort of battle arena were set up for it.

polerberr

Reaction score
Tyrannosaur Ryan said:
I think the actual root of the problem is that permanent character lvls are out of place in a PvP game. It only takes away from the balance that the devs have been trying to achieve. That isn't to say that character lvls shouldn't exist at all, but it would be better if it were set up more like a MOBA. In MOBA games you do lvl up and you do customize, but everyone starts the match at lvl 1, and the number of players on each team is always even. So if a low lvl player is getting 'bullied' by a higher lvl player it probably means that the higher lvl player has just been playing better that game.
It's probably too late to put this in Dino Storm though, unless some sort of battle arena were set up for it.

If the devs ever plan on adding new (larger) features, a battle arena would really be a great idea.

I'd be interested in knowing what their priorities are at the moment. Are they further developing another game of theirs, or making a new one? How much time do they have to dedicate to Dino Storm? I know Splitscreen currently has another two games, though how popular they are I don't know. If they're more popular than DS, then maybe we'll never see a big change in the PvP system purely because they need to focus on what's bringing them more money.

Gmanwolf

Reaction score
Ok so this system would like take the war out of clan war and also there would be more verbal abuse. Just saying.

polerberr

Reaction score
Gmanwolf said:
Ok so this system would like take the war out of clan war and also there would be more verbal abuse. Just saying.
Not necessarily.

The PvP servers system obviously would allow for clan wars in the PvP servers. For the system that involves asking for a duel, it would work too. You would click on the user and alongside the option to attack the user alone, there would be the option to start a clan war. I'm not in a clan yet, so I don't know how clan wars start, but the devs are very smart people and can figure out how to make it work.

It really wouldn't be too different from the system we have now, it just eliminates bullying from high-level players to low-level players. There are too many unfair PvP kills, and players really ought to have more options to avoid that kind of abuse.

As for the verbal abuse, I don't think that will change too much. Verbal abuse just can't be avoided on games with live chat, but lets face it, who really cares? Verbal abuse does not stop your character from using it's abilities or leveling up, and it's extremely easy to ignore. I myself haven't even noticed any verbal abuse yet, though I'm certain it happens in DS like any other game.

Colmillon

Reaction score
Hi! Good suggestions to avoid PVP abuse. I'll give one more (i think it's the simplest and practical one).

PVP by levels. I mean, DS has places where you searching items to level up, and these places are organized by level (5-10 / 11-15 / 16-20 / 21-25 /26-30 / 31-35 / 36-40). Why don't DS organize PVP mode in the same way to be an outlaw? So, PVP players would be more balanced.

And for the war clan mode, add an option to be only duelist. And only duelists could heal buildings to avoid that an outlaw do it. I think it is the easiest way. Cheers!

Enix

Reaction score
Server
Europe_3
Main Char
Ryzen-X
Clan
GhostDivision
Yes. If this system would be introduced by splitscreen it would be really helpful for level players who wish to level up fast and reach sheriff monument.

AtenebrisReykat

Reaction score
polerberr said:
I've mentioned some of these on other subforums, but I'll post them in one neat post where others can add / discuss. :)

Bullying is an issue in this game. High level players constantly kill low level players as soon as they spawn in a PvP zone, for example. We can report the players, but it'd be more effective to look at the root of the problem and to find solutions from there.

PvP is an important feature to any online game, but there are ways to have it where players don't abuse it.

• Special PvP servers. Players can decide upon character creation whether or not they want to risk getting killed outside of Dinoville by other players. Players can create characters for non-PvP servers and for PvP servers, so everybody's happy.
  • Asking for permission to duel. Instead of creating whole new servers with PvP disabled, make the feature so that one has to ask permission to duel another player. So, if you see somebody that you want to take on, you press their character and there will be the "attack" option. The other player will instantly receive a popup which they can respond to. It could be something like this: ThisUserName wants to fight you: Accept / Decline.This allows both players to attack each other until one is killed. Lower level players would tend to decline a duel from a higher level, thus encouraging higher levels to fight players of their own level, and solve the bullying problem.
  • More guardian protection options. This is probably a more simple solution. When I go to the guardians outpost I only ever have the option to pay for 3 hours of protection. Now, I want to make use of what I pay for, but I don't always have time for 3 hours of gaming. Why can't we pay less fame for shorter lasting protection? Give players options for 20 - 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, etc. It'll cost less fame and we can actually get what we payed for.

I'm quite happy with the Guardian Protection already as it is. 3 Hours of protection is fine and can easily be removed by attacking another player when necessary, or becoming a Duelist. The selection of having Protection is kind of a waste of time altogether, because people will abuse those selection slots just like they abuse the PvP.

I like the idea of permission before Dueling though, however Dino Storm is a gunfighting game where players will intentionally annoy other players by becoming Outlaws, and killing everyone they can manage. The whole reason of levelling up and getting stronger, is to be able to fight back against those Outlaws, and become one yourself if chosen to. If it was permission-first based, there would be no point of having Outlaws and clans that hunt Outlaws down.

With the Character Selection on whether you'd be happy for it to be killed constantly or not, isn't really the point of the game. The reason why they brought 3-hour Protection in is to allow those players who do not wish to duel to be rid of those idiotic players running around killing everyone for fun. They used to have those bots who would kill the Outlaws for you, but then they changed it due to some players wanting to kill the Outlaws themselves.

Overall though, it's very good to hear some ideas once in a while! Keep 'em coming! <3

dslover23

Reaction score
polerberr said:

i totally agree with you.

Tyrannosaur Ryan

Reaction score
Code:
Dino Storm is a gunfighting game where players will intentionally annoy other players by becoming Outlaws, and killing everyone they can manage. The whole reason of levelling up and getting stronger, is to be able to fight back against those Outlaws, and become one yourself if chosen to. If it was permission-first based, there would be no point of having Outlaws and clans that hunt Outlaws down.
I agree with both of these statements. People just need to realize that they're playing a PvP game. That's why you level up - so you can gradually move to the top of the food chain. Personally I don't think that a leveling system has a place in a PvP game, but that's a different issue.

Giving players the option to pay less for a shorter amount of protection might be reasonable though. As long as it's kept within reason and you still need to think twice about using it. If the price were reduced to the point that it doesn't even hurt someone to use it then that would basically be the same thing as just making you ask permission before attacking anyone. Which would make the game a lot less exciting and free people up to be as obnoxious as they want.

rajazribi

Reaction score
please don't let this ._. if this happen i will leave the game !! you over-reacting about abuses ! i mean you can always spawn at DV or call help from your clan, also it make the game less intense. don't be a coward and ask your bullies why are they attacking you.
protection should be used at extreme situations !! for example twenty lvl 40 player guarding every teleport game, spawn camp , map entrance...