Don Donel

Reaction score
Server
Asia_1
Main Char
Don Donel
Clan
Not in a clan
Since I don't have a lot of time to spend on the game right now, I want to focus on as few dinos/guns as possible (for now), then farm higher-level stuff for later. So I’m focused on mostly PvE with some occasional PvP. If you had to pick 2 out of 3 dinos/guns to focus on, which would you recommend?

DINOS:
Coelo (currently used), Anky, Carno
GUNS: PM (currently used), Gatling, Colt

My thoughts on specific combinations:

I really enjoy this combo. Pretty good for sniping and pacing around mobs, then jumping on them for the kill. Love the speed Coelo brings and the time it saves walking, especially in DinoVille trips. But it's getting harder to fight aggressive high-HP units, and I heard that other guns can close the range gap at higher levels/range tech.
Could maybe replace the PM in a hit-and-run playstyle after leveling range tech. I heard at later levels, the other guns begin to close the gap with PM range -- is this true? And the Gatling won't be completely useless in melee range. But I'm not sure if the Coelo is dead the moment it gets outranged, so I'm a little anxious about pairing it with anything other than a PM.
I've tested it for a bit, it's quite good. What it lacks in killing speed, it makes up for in survivability. The Gatling reaches mobs from far range and still has Skill 4 for melee. Lots of CC in this setup and allows for some interesting plays with Skill 1 and 2 extra powers. Looks like it has some potential in PvP.
With its own dino damage on the lower end, Anky EP on Skill 1 could let the Colt rip through mob HP with EP on Skill 3+4, but do they stack? If so, this looks promising in terms of kill time, but I'm not sure how well this combo does in PvP play. (Is Colt used in PvP these days?) The problem with this build I think is it's easy to keep one's distance from them, so this might exclusively be for PvE play.
In theory, a strong, fast farmer. Leech could still work with the Colt's close range skills, just need to maximize skill damage instead of clock. My main problem with this is “kill fast, die fast,” especially against mobs with CC skills. I don't know yet if Stability/Heat implants will help, or if I'm already dead by the time I've recovered. And that’s just talking about PvE… PvP will be even more vicious, I imagine.
1. I'm having a hard time theorycrafting what ideal gun the Carno wants in PvP. Is it a PvE exclusive dino right now? I considered the Carno + Gatling but I don't think it should be trying to fight in long range given its HP and damage stats, unless its gun has any way to lock enemy movement from afar (probably the PM).

2. Could the Carno fight PM runners with a PM of its own? Considering that Coelos and Pachys have less HP than the Carno (if I'm not mistaken), they could lose a PM war against the Carno... Unless the Pachy lands a stun after a paralyze... Haha, I know I’m overthinking it too much for the early game, but the Carno is my all-time favorite dino so it can’t be helped :LOL:

3. I could just get the Anky + Colt/Gatling, and then switch to PM when I need to fight someone. On paper, I'll have a chance against runners with PM's Skills 3 or 4, and PvE probably won't be as bad considering that Skill 2 has a stun. I feel that this combo and Coelo could get me past many maps already, leaving the other dinosaurs and guns for later leveling. Maybe I could do the same for Carno, then? But now it still has to contend with CC…

4. If you tell me to play what I enjoy, well… I enjoy running around fast, so that’s an easy Coelo pick. But I also like not dying, so… does that mean I go for Anky? RIP Carno?

Would love to hear which you would recommend.

Last edited:

Czarna

Reaction score
Server
Europe_4
Main Char
Czarna
Clan
- Eternal -
You could honestly use any of those combinations for PVE. Most people would recommend Carno (especially with Showstopper, no doubt it's the best gun for PVE). Faster farming = less time spent on grind in general. He can also put his weight in PVP. A favorable matchup and experience matters a lot.

Stability and Heat implant effects are strong, at max level you basically don't experience the paralysis or stun effect at all. This often leads to counter-picking your implants for specific opponents in PVP. In PVE you should also come prepared with your implants against certain mobs, Heat is arguably less important in PVE than Stability.

A PVP fight against a player with Peacemaker can be challenging. Without sufficient range or endurance you will inevitably lose against an experienced player.

Here are the stats at level 55 (no implants or techs included) for the Dinos and Guns you mentioned. They may be subject to change later (if another balance update comes).

StrengthVitalityEndurance
Coelophysis32,85752,2801,277
Carnotaurus38,13446,9851,016
Ankylosaurus19,00582,865539

DamageClockRangeFocus
Burning Colt20,1101,4405641,315
Peacemaker23,70868090013
Gatling16,4325,326707329

Hope these can help you make a decision you will be happy with.

Don Donel

Reaction score
Server
Asia_1
Main Char
Don Donel
Clan
Not in a clan
Dang, had I known the Showstopper was great for PVE I would have bought it at Level 5 instead of the Gatling :LOL:

But these are great to know. I'll probably stick with an Anky + Colt for now, then get a Carno later. Upon traveling to Mokon Woods, I found it handy to have a tank early on and just switch out to a runner if I need to.

Thanks for the tips, @Czarna!

kinza

Reaction score
Server
-----
Main Char
-
Clan
-
Dang, had I known the Showstopper was great for PVE I would have bought it at Level 5 instead of the Gatling :LOL:

But these are great to know. I'll probably stick with an Anky + Colt for now, then get a Carno later. Upon traveling to Mokon Woods, I found it handy to have a tank early on and just switch out to a runner if I need to.

Do you have any Dino recommendations for new players?