What's new

idea to discourage cursing in chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

arachyd

Reaction score
Since the most common form of disciplinary action, muting, really only stops the person from cursing for a while it doesn't have any real teeth to it. It doesn't stop people from doing it over and over again. There are a lot of children who play this game and many adults are offended by the cursing and swearing in general chat. Wouldn't it be great to put some teeth in the penalty? How about if there were a special shirt like mimes use, black & white stripes, for while a person is muted. They can't change it until the mute time is past. Unlike the shirts we buy for fame points, this shirt would take a certain amount of fame per hour. It might make players think twice before cursing and they might start having a little respect for the GMs.

Muk Pile

Reaction score
Yeah, that sounds like a really good suggestion! Plus, it would be nice to easily know who offenders on the game are! :D

Kavon

Reaction score
Don't know if this will actually work, but-

Many of these offenders are noobs, under level 15, at the stage they shouldn't be minding about fame. I say that we should do something like, prevent them from being able to PvP or participate in group quests since being an offender usually do not "respect" others, or cooperate in group quests.

Or... unable to move around much, it's like jail but something different. You can't get past the barriers by buildings nor attack it, or something...

Heck, being barrier trapped DinoVille could do it.

Muk Pile

Reaction score
Kavon said:
I say that we should do something like, prevent them from being able to PvP or participate in group quests since being an offender usually do not "respect" others, or cooperate in group quests.

Or... unable to move around much, it's like jail but something different. You can't get past the barriers by buildings nor attack it, or something...
Yeah, this brings to mind another topic that's I've been brewing for a while. We got a lot of the building and areas you would expect to see in an old western town: a market place, a town hall, a warehouse, and even a saloon. But something seems to be missing: a jail.

The Sheriff, his Deputies, and the Outlaw Hunters (a.k.a. Bounty Hunters ) need a place to put all those bad guys and offenders that they catch**. So, why isn't there a jail in DinoVille, where anyone deemed as an offender can be put into. This is how I have imagined it working out:

The offender, upon being caught, is immediently transported to the jail in DinoVille.

During his time in the cooler, he is stripped of his dinosaur and is placed in classic, iron-barred cell. His dinosaur is hitched up to the hitching rail outside the jail, where onlookers can still click on it and view the offender's profiles. And in his personal profile, he will have an icon of a ball and chain, which will stand for "Incarcirated"; first timers get just one, while repeat offenders get one for each time they have been jailed.

He can still move around, but only within the confines of the cell. He can even look out a small, iron-barred window, to watch other players freely come and go. He is muted, so he can't harrass anyone outside his window. However, he can still talk with the Game Masters (a.k.a. the GMs), which will allow him to explain his case and the GMs to make sure he has learned his lesson.

Once his time is up, he is put back on his dinosaur, allowed to chat with other players again, the "Incarcirated" icon disappears from his profile, and he is free to walk back to continue his business of good behavior.

I think this would be a great addition to the game and I hope the Devs think so too! :D

** I know that those guys don't have the power to catch criminals and offenders on the game; that's what the Game Masters (a.k.a. the GMs) do. I'm just pointing out the historical context that is the basis of this game.

Kavon

Reaction score
Well, that can be easily abused. There will be chaos if the "Sheriff" puts all of their enemies in jail and any minor offenses just to be muted.

However, there is a jail, just hard to actually see that it is. It's the dino pens behind the Dino Store in DinoVille. Being jailed is usually a major offense, or repetitive minor offenses to land them up there.

Muk Pile

Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen some offenders in there before. I even have shots of them posted on the Funny Photos page. However, I didn't mean to imply that the Sheriff could jail anybody; I meant that only the GMs could do that and that the Devs need to put in an offical jail, not just a temporary one in the Dino Store Pen. (I mean, why put bad stock into the breeding pens that produce all of our domestic dinos?) :LOL:

Atmosphere

Reaction score
Server
Europe_1
Main Char
Atmosphere
Clan
none
crazyfrog99220 said:
LOL and this is why ialwyas get muted folks.
lol dude, just because someone says a joke about you, you do not have to respond back in a negative way. If they curse at you, then that's another story...

Xenotarsosaurus

Reaction score
Hello,

Please take a look at the penalty structure for CoC violations, repeat offenders receive harsher penalties as you can all see from the structure.

Punishment Guide

Standard Offense Structure

* 1st Violation = 1st Warning
* 2nd Violation = 2nd Warning
* 3rd Violation = Mute 1 day (24)
* 4th Violation = Mute 3 days (72) + Bann 1 day (24)
* 5th Violation = Mute 7 days (168) + Bann 3 days (72)
* 6th Violation = Mute 7 days (168) + Bann 7 days (168) + possible Permanent Ban
* 7th Violation = Permanent Ban

For swearing offenses
(This involves swearing in public chat and swearing in the Dino Rider's status window)

*1st Violation = 1st Warning
* 2nd Violation = 2nd Warning
* 3rd Violation = Bann 1 day (24) + mute (48)
* 4th Violation = Bann 3 days (72) + mute (144)
* 5th Violation = Bann 7 days (168) + mute (336)
* 6th Violation = Permanent Ban

The best way to avoid a mute is to make yourself aware of the,

Dino Storm - Rules & Regulations (CoC)
http://forum.dinostorm.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=730

and the

Dino Storm - Policies & Information
http://forum.dinostorm.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=729

Keep in mind that just because someone does not know the Rules & Regulations does not mean they're excused for breaking them.

Tooth1212

Reaction score
So It was the first time I got a violation or whatever and I get no warning I get jailed and muted for 24 hours I dont think this is fair

Xenotarsosaurus

Reaction score
Tooth1212 said:
So It was the first time I got a violation or whatever and I get no warning I get jailed and muted for 24 hours I dont think this is fair

Penalties are based on severity, the most serious offenses may not require a prior warning to be penalized for it. This is something to keep in mind.

crazyfrog99220

Reaction score
Tooth1212 said:
Guys ignore his lying im a witness he was using the death bug and attacking me right in front of xeno

Status
Not open for further replies.