What's new

DS's State - From a 7 year Veteran

Tharekon

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Rodrigo Pires aka Tharekon (Europe 2) and I know many of you don´t know me but I had to get this off my chest because I'm watching a game I love every day. I’ve been playing Dino Storm for a little over 7 years and I’ve seen this game go through so many changes (good and bad) but at the light of the new changes I had to say something. In here I will give some of my complaints and others of players I’ve talked too and are unhappy with some stuff. I will also give some new ideas for the Ds team in hope of them reading this and truly changing the game for a better state.
Thank you all and if you agree with anything please comment, repost this or do what you can to get this to the Devs.

Complaints

Maps/Mazes
My first complain is about the maps (or mazes as I like to call them since it’s what they look like). Ever since the changes on how the maps works, players have been complaining about the difficulties of moving from point A to B. Nowadays, you either walk for 5 minutes, or you spend absurd amounts of dino dollars doing it. My suggestion isn’t to make it as they were before the update that changed them completely. Instead, open some new roads that take you through place to place without having to go to Narnia and back.

Balancing (Buff, don’t nerf)
My second complaint and probably one of the most known one ever since the game came out is the unbalanced reality of dinosaurs and weapons. All dinosaurs and weapons are balanced on paper (statically) but when it comes to reality, no one uses Hammer or Parasaurolophus. However, my request isn’t for you to nerf Gattling or Pachy because they’re overpowered. People are already used to how they work and nerfing them would be revolting to say the least. Instead buff the other less used dinos and weapons. By doing that the game is more dynamic, there is more variety and thus making the game more fun.

Increasing spaces = Increasing gold
I understand you must make money to keep the game running but increasing the gold a player has to use to have some more space on their inventory or wharehouse isn’t the best way to do it. So many stuffs matter in this game, and if you want to succeed in it, you have to save some of that stuff, either that be rare items, stones to buy new stuff, boosters, skins and damage clothes, etc. Changing how that works was another of your mistakes. People used to spend money on the game specifically to add more space to their inventory or wharehouse, but no one on their right mind does it now because its not worth. So please, consider undoing that change and bring back the fix prices for inventory and wharehouse increase.

Fix tracks
This is just a minor complaint but its still relevant, ever since you changed how the maps work, tracks have been showing the closest path in terms of distance from where you are to where you want to go instead of the closest path you really have to take from where you are to said place. Example: If you’re in lvl54 area and you want some lvl45 items, instead of showing the path to lvl53 mobs for instance, it shows you the path to lvl45 mobs since they’re closer to you.

Clock changes
Now about the most recent update. This nonsense change was made to reduce lag and I completely understand that but more ahead ill give some more ideas to reduce lag. Well, my complain relies on the fact that the game is way more boring now. Sitting still and having to wait 2 seconds for my gun to fire isn’t fun nor is dynamic. I know the damage per second (DPS) is still the same but making a gun fire once every minute and boost it’s damage by 6000% also doesn’t change the DPS but it certainly takes the fun out of the game. So, I beg you to reconsider this and undoing the update. Listen to your player base, few people are happy with this and the last thing we need it for more people to leave the game.

Suggestions

Trading system
I’ve been asking for this for a long time and I will continue to do so, along with many other players. We need a trading system. Not everything should be tradable and most stuff should come from each individual’s effort but giving a chance to a player to trade some items he has a lot of for some he lacks doesn’t affect the game that much. I also defend that the trading should only happen between items of the same level to prevent high level players to boost the level up speed of lower levels. Some of the items I suggest could be tradable are, among other, skins and clothes, stones, items, etc.

Better descriptions
Guns, dinosaurs, techs and implants need more detailed information. All of these take huge sacrifices from players when buying them, and we want to truly know what we’re buying before we invest so much on it. I would even go as far as to say, give us a 1h trial of these items before we buy them, so we can test them and make sure we truly want to buy them.

Real Armors
Nothing breaks the spirit of a gamer like watching a game trailer, and then the game not matching their expectations. So please, for the esthetic reality of the game, add some armors to the dinosaurs as you represent on your photos and trailers. And, similar to the dinosaurs and weapons, it could look better and stronger the more you level it up.

Rewards
You know what kept me playing this game so many years ago? Knowing that if I kept playing for a straight week, I would get a carnotaurus or a centrosaurus. I don’t know what made you remove those daily rewards but if you want players to keep playing daily, reward them for it.
Also, reward your older players. Reward the people that are with you since the beginning. Reward who was loyal to the game and reward the people who made sacrifices to keep playing it. Be it a title, or a skin, a new dino or a customizable real armor, but be loyal to the ones who were loyal to you.
Also, this game shouldn’t be played with only 1 objective: get the T-Rex. You need to go through all the offices before you get there, so why not reward players for winning them too? They all require sacrifices from the players, and everything that requires a sacrifice should be rewarded

Name changing
Alike the inventory and wharehouse prices, the name changing prices increase the more you change them. In some part I understand why, people shouldn’t be changing names as often as they change clothes but still, the prices are ridiculous and shouldn’t increase the more times you change it. Make it cheaper, fix and offer the players 1 chance to change the name for free. Now I speak personally because when I created my account, I named myself with a name that I had to change later because it was too personal and gave away my personal information. And it costed me 5 euros, however I had to charge the account with 10. For a 14-year kid, 10 euros isn’t cheap, and you have to understand that some of your player base are kids who can’t afford to put money on the game.

Gold coins giftings
As I said before, not everyone can put gold coins on the game to change their name, or to get the so wanted T-Rex, however some of the players are willing to help each other, which is hard at the moment. However, with a gifting option you could help us help them.

Supplying gates
Still on the topic of money spending, having to spend 50 or 100 euros to get a virtual item (T-Rex) on a game is ridiculous and preposterous. And it all comes down to supplies. So, I suggest the following: 1) Make supps cheaper OR 2) Make supps way more expensive but change the way they work. Attacking gates should be punishable and should only happen if you truly want the fame, not just because you hate that clan or that player. So, supps could be way more expensive but only used to attack gates and supplying the first time. After that first supply, gates could either stay permanent supplied until atacked, or could be supplied via dino dollars.

Lag Fixes

-Frigg-

Reaction score
Server
America_2
Main Char
I-.Mania.-I
Clan
-Olympos of Death-
Tharekon said:
Maps/Mazes
My first complain is about the maps (or mazes as I like to call them since it’s what they look like). Ever since the changes on how the maps works, players have been complaining about the difficulties of moving from point A to B. Nowadays, you either walk for 5 minutes, or you spend absurd amounts of dino dollars doing it. My suggestion isn’t to make it as they were before the update that changed them completely. Instead, open some new roads that take you through place to place without having to go to Narnia and back.

Balancing (Buff, don’t nerf)
My second complaint and probably one of the most known one ever since the game came out is the unbalanced reality of dinosaurs and weapons. All dinosaurs and weapons are balanced on paper (statically) but when it comes to reality, no one uses Hammer or Parasaurolophus. However, my request isn’t for you to nerf Gattling or Pachy because they’re overpowered. People are already used to how they work and nerfing them would be revolting to say the least. Instead buff the other less used dinos and weapons. By doing that the game is more dynamic, there is more variety and thus making the game more fun.

Increasing spaces = Increasing gold
I understand you must make money to keep the game running but increasing the gold a player has to use to have some more space on their inventory or wharehouse isn’t the best way to do it. So many stuffs matter in this game, and if you want to succeed in it, you have to save some of that stuff, either that be rare items, stones to buy new stuff, boosters, skins and damage clothes, etc. Changing how that works was another of your mistakes. People used to spend money on the game specifically to add more space to their inventory or wharehouse, but no one on their right mind does it now because its not worth. So please, consider undoing that change and bring back the fix prices for inventory and wharehouse increase.

Clock changes
Now about the most recent update. This nonsense change was made to reduce lag and I completely understand that but more ahead ill give some more ideas to reduce lag. Well, my complain relies on the fact that the game is way more boring now. Sitting still and having to wait 2 seconds for my gun to fire isn’t fun nor is dynamic. I know the damage per second (DPS) is still the same but making a gun fire once every minute and boost it’s damage by 6000% also doesn’t change the DPS but it certainly takes the fun out of the game. So, I beg you to reconsider this and undoing the update. Listen to your player base, few people are happy with this and the last thing we need it for more people to leave the game.
these are the complaints i agree with the most, and ones that i've seen complained about the most. but the problem is that nobody seems to listen. these are complaints that i've heard for YEARS and yet nothing has happened to make it any better. and now with the lag issues, they're implementing fixes that by and large aren't really doing anything. the monstrous coelo fix was nice i guess but it still spawns soooo many. i can get used to the clock change but its just.... dull. and even with the fix, i'm still lagging. this game has had a lag issue for years and i maintain that its because the servers aren't big enough to handle the traffic. especially right now, with the coronavirus having everyone in quarantine and the easter event going on. that's when the lag really started to spike.

buuuut at this point i don't have many expectations for this game. as much as i would love real fixes and quality of life updates, it realistically isn't going to happen. its very unfortunate because dinostorm is one-of-a-kind. yet no game can stand on its own two legs if devs don't listen to their playerbase.

Tharekon

Reaction score
Lag Fixes
In here I will add some ideas to reduce lag, which hopefully will suffice to help the players and convince you to undo the clock update.
1) Remove snow particles in Maujak. No one plays this game for the graphics, so please remove the particles, they don’t change the game, they only cause lag.
2) Remove banned accounts. They won’t come back, and they overflow your servers
3) Make the maps bigger to prevent the concentration of players on the same place
4) Forbid or control the creation of new accounts on certain servers which are already full
5) Give the players the chance to migrate accounts to other servers (and make new ones). Some players will gladly leave their server if it means getting not losing all the hard work they had to get where they are now.

Sorry, I don´t know what happened but it cut the message in half. Thanks again

Tharekon

Reaction score
these are the complaints i agree with the most, and ones that i've seen complained about the most. but the problem is that nobody seems to listen. these are complaints that i've heard for YEARS and yet nothing has happened to make it any better. and now with the lag issues, they're implementing fixes that by and large aren't really doing anything. the monstrous coelo fix was nice i guess but it still spawns soooo many. i can get used to the clock change but its just.... dull. and even with the fix, i'm still lagging. this game has had a lag issue for years and i maintain that its because the servers aren't big enough to handle the traffic. especially right now, with the coronavirus having everyone in quarantine and the easter event going on. that's when the lag really started to spike.

buuuut at this point i don't have many expectations for this game. as much as i would love real fixes and quality of life updates, it realistically isn't going to happen. its very unfortunate because dinostorm is one-of-a-kind. yet no game can stand on its own two legs if devs don't listen to their playerbase.
[/quote]

I agree, its a shame such a unique game is dying because the devs refuse to listen to the players, yet I couldnt go without expressing my opinion.
Thanks for the support

istencsaszar

Reaction score
Server
Europe_1
Main Char
Odin.
Clan
-
I agree with you on most subjects, although i don't think that the latest update is that bad(we've seen much worse...), it's just strange. But i still suggest that a fire rate in between the old and the new one would be nice.

With the maps my biggest problem is that there are places where you can't bypass veterans/alphas. This can be annoying or even deadly when a player has implants and techs set for pvp, not hunting. It would be good to have other passages to get from one place to another.

The other great idea that i support very much is body armor on dinos. It would slow down pvp, but this base resistance would give some time to higher strength, lower hp dinos(carno, t. rex), to catch up to ranged players without getting shot into minced meat. Also different dinos could have different body armor piercing percentage in close fight, making some of them better for close range and some of them better for run and shoot tactics.